Wednesday, February 7

Ain't nothing like clean-up

Every now and then comes a time when you have to reinstall your XP. Wish it wasn't the case -- and maybe some day I'll manage to protect myself from all sorts of crap and be careful enough not to stuff my system with junk to boot -- but the way things are now, it's not very surprising that sooner or later (luckily, it's usually later) it's necessary to finally wipe it all off. Now, obviously it's a nuisance, obviously no matter how well you prepare yourself beforehand and how much attention you put into backing up all important data, files, settings and whatnot, you end up losing something you just forgot about and some other things that theoretically should work fine after the format just don't wanna and you have to go through the long and laborious process of configuring your foobar2000 just the way you liked it before the reinstall. But! The thing that never ceases to surprise me is... how much I like that. No, really. I'm by no means an order freak but still, once a certain critical mass of mess ("mass of mess", hehe) accumulates -- be it computers or real life -- I get a serious kick out of getting rid of stuff, organizing things, putting them in the right places, making it all nice and tidy... so that finally I can admire the new (or, renewed) Quality with a capital Q. It just feels good. And same goes for reinstalling XP. Suddenly all just works fast, suddenly I have no mess in my Start menu, suddenly I have a nice new WindowBlinds skin, new slick wallpaper, fresh set of ObjectDock icons. Suddenly I find myself purging my apps partition out of programs I haven't used for years. Suddenly I find myself organizing my Opera bookmarks. And please take my word for it: I'm no order freak. Really. But it just makes me feel good, and every now and then a computer user simply deserves to feel good, doesn't he? Well, at least until it all goes back to normal.  

No comments: